THE HISTORY OF THE EPISCOPAL CHURCHES On WEST KAUAI
The Episcopal Church in Hawaii began in 1862, when King Kamehameha IV and Queen Emma, a lifelong Anglican, invited the Church of England to Hawaii. The King and Queen supported the Church’s establishment throughout the islands with gifts of land, and by founding St. Andrew’s School in Honolulu.
Episcopal services were held on West Kauai as early as 1916. Although there was no Episcopal Church at that time, services were first held in the gardens of a private home in Kekaha. Later, a screened porch in a plantation clubhouse served as the church meeting place.
Construction of St. John’s Church in Ele’ele was completed in 1941. It was then that the first vicar was called, the Rev. John Thurlow Baker.
St. Paul’s Church was completed a few years later, in 1947. Since that time, St. Paul’s and St. John’s have been served by the same vicar.
In 1993, St. John’s and St. Paul’s were merged into one congregation with two locations under the name of the Episcopal Church on West Kauai.
Today, the Episcopal Church on West Kauai is the only church in the liturgical tradition (besides the Roman Catholic Church) to serve the people of West Kauai.
St. George’s Window:
Shortly after the end of World War II, the Japanese cccongregation of St. John’s wanted to give something in memory of the men of the 442 Regiment who were from Kauai of Japanese decent and who died in the war. The decision was made to donate a stained glass window of St. George slaying the dragon. The model used for the face of St. George was that of a young member of St. John's, Richard "Masa" Sako (1924-2004). The inscription on the window is from Malachi 2:10: "Have we not all one Father? Have we not One God who created us?"
WHAT IS THE EPISCOPAL CHURCH?